[openstack-dev] [savanna] neutron and private networks

Jon Maron jmaron at hortonworks.com
Thu Oct 3 15:21:03 UTC 2013

Hi,

  I'd like to raise an issue in the hopes of opening some discussion on the IRC chat later today:

    We see a critical requirement to support the creation of a savanna cluster with neutron networking while leveraging a private network (i.e. without the assignment of public IPs) - at least during the provisioning phase.  So the current neutron solution coded in the master branch appears to be insufficient (it is dependent on the assignment of public IPs to launched instances), at least in the context of discussions we've had with users.

  We've been experimenting and trying to understand the viability of such an approach and have had some success establishing SSH connections over a private network using paramiko etc.  So as long as there is a mechanism to ascertain the namespace associated with the given cluster/tenant (configuration?  neutron client?) it appears that the modifications to the actual savanna code for the instance remote interface (the SSH client code etc) will be fairly small.  The namespace selection could potentially be another field made available in the dashboard's cluster creation interface.

-- Jon

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE