[openstack-dev] [Heat] Autoscale and load balancers

Stephen Gran stephen.gran at theguardian.com
Thu Oct 3 08:21:41 UTC 2013

On 02/10/13 16:06, Thomas Hervé wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> There is a small but important part of the autoscale design described in
> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Heat/AutoScaling that we'd like to
> discuss to make sure everybody is on the same page. Namely, the
> relationship between an autoscaling group and a load balancer.
>
> In the current system, a group has references to load balancers, and
> signals them when the group changes, sending it the list of servers in
> the group. This creates an implicit interface between groups and load
> balancers that we didn't model well, and is awkward for third-party load
> balancers.

It strikes me that the autoscaling group is comprised of a list of
servers, and a loadbalancer's backend pool is comprised of a list of
server:port tuples.  Why not make the mapping at that level?

I don't think there needs to be any additional verbosity in the template
- the mapping between an autoscaling group and a loadbalancer backend
pool could be handled internally.

Cheers,
--
Stephen Gran
Senior Systems Integrator - theguardian.com

On your mobile, download the Guardian iPhone app theguardian.com/iphone and our iPad edition theguardian.com/iPad
Save up to 33% by subscribing to the Guardian and Observer - choose the papers you want and get full digital access.
Visit subscribe.theguardian.com

This e-mail and all attachments are confidential and may also
be privileged. If you are not the named recipient, please notify
the sender and delete the e-mail and all attachments immediately.
Do not disclose the contents to another person. You may not use
the information for any purpose, or store, or copy, it in any way.

Guardian News & Media Limited is not liable for any computer
viruses or other material transmitted with or as part of this
e-mail. You should employ virus checking software.

Guardian News & Media Limited

A member of Guardian Media Group plc
Registered Office
PO Box 68164