[openstack-dev] strange behaviour (possible bug) with "nova evacuate"

Lingxian Kong anlin.kong at gmail.com
Thu Oct 3 05:42:02 UTC 2013

Hi Chris:

Aftering exploring the code, I think there is already clean up on the
original compute node, it will check that the instances reported by the
driver are still associated with this host. If they are not, they will be
destroyed. Please refer to:
https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/master/nova/compute/manager.py#L784

2013/10/3 Chris Friesen <chris.friesen at windriver.com>

> Hi all,
>
> I posted this on the IRC channel but got no response, so I'll try here.
>
> Suppose I do the following:
>
> 1) create an instance (instance files not on shared storage)
> 2) kill its compute node and evacuate the instance to another node
> 3) boot up the original compute node
> 4) kill the second compute node and evacuate back to the first compute node
>
> In step 4 it seems to be failing a check in rebuild_instance() because it
> finds the old instance file on the disk at/var/lib/nova/instances/.  Is
> this a bug?  If not, what's the intended behaviour in this case? Surely the
> admin isn't supposed to manually wipe a compute node before reconnecting it
> to the network...
>
> It seems to me that when the original compute node boots up it should
> recognize that the instance has been evacuated and delete the instance file
> on the disk.
>
> Or is the problem that it doesn't know whether the instances are on shared
> storage (in which case we wouldn't want to delete the instance file) or
> local storage (in which case we would)?  If this is the case, then maybe we
> should embed the storage type in the instance itself--this would also let
> us avoid having to manually specify --on-shared-storage in the "evacuate"
> call.
>
> Thanks,
> Chris

*Lingxian Kong*