[openstack-dev] [Ceilometer] Looking for input on optional sample pipelines branch

Thomas Maddox thomas.maddox at RACKSPACE.COM
Wed Oct 2 20:32:25 UTC 2013

Hey All!

I'm working to make the sample pipeline optional and I'm stuck at a
decision point about whether I ought to use a collector config option
(like 'enable_sample_pipelines'), or let it be driven by setup.cfg (i.e.
the existence of sample plugin references). My favorite right now is the
former, but I wanted to entertain the latter and learn in the process.

In the case of driving it via setup.cfg, I am not sure how Stevedore could
handle a blank namespace. As it is implemented in the CollectorService
now, it's raising "RuntimeError: No <namespace> extensions found." So,
that's my first question: is there a better way to handle that using
existing Stevedore functionality? The second would be, if we drive the
enabled/disabled pipelines by the existence of references in setup.cfg,
how then could an operator disable it without having to reinstall CM? Just
wanted to be sure I covered my options before picking something and having
to undo my branch (again). =]

Here's the CollectorService from my branch:
https://github.com/TMaddox/ceilometer/blob/optional_samples/ceilometer/coll
ector/service.py. The changes are a WIP, though any feedback is definitely
appreciated!

Thanks in advance for the help!

-Thomas