[openstack-dev] [openstack][neutron] Handling issues unlikely to happen with the current code

Cristian Tomoiaga ctomoiaga at gmail.com
Tue Oct 1 15:43:32 UTC 2013

Hello,

I am wondering if we should handle potential issues (unlikely to happen
with the current code) now or wait to see what happens with the code in the
future ?
What I am referring to can be seen for example
in neutron/db/db_base_plugin_v2.py in _recycle_ip if we try to recycle the
same IP twice.
Looking at where and how the _recycle_ip function is called, it's unlikely
that the same IP will be recycled twice, but if that happens, two
allocation pools will be created containing the same IP address leading to
all sorts of issues afterwards.
There is no check to see if the IP already exists as a single entry in the
allocation pools table.
An extra db query should be created to avoid this.
The IP handling code will change in the future but I am guessing the same
function will continue to exist.
Waiting for some feedback on this, thank you!

--
Regards,
Cristian Tomoiaga