[openstack-dev] [heat] [scheduler] Bringing things together for Icehouse (now featuring software orchestration)

Thomas Spatzier thomas.spatzier at de.ibm.com
Tue Oct 1 07:43:44 UTC 2013

Clint Byrum <clint at fewbar.com> wrote on 01.10.2013 08:31:44 - Excerpt:

> From: Clint Byrum <clint at fewbar.com>
> To: openstack-dev <openstack-dev at lists.openstack.org>,
> Date: 01.10.2013 08:33
> Subject: Re: [openstack-dev] [heat] [scheduler] Bringing things
> together for Icehouse (now featuring software orchestration)
>
> Excerpts from Georgy Okrokvertskhov's message of 2013-09-30 11:44:26
-0700:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am working on the OpenStack project Murano which actually had to
solve
> > the same problem with software level orchestration. Right now Murano
has a
> > DSL language which allows you to define a workflow for a complex
service
> > deployment.
> >

> Hi!
>
> We've written some very basic tools to do server configuration for the
> OpenStack on OpenStack (TripleO) Deployment program. Hopefully we can
> avert you having to do any duplicate work and join forces.
>
> Note that configuring software and servers is not one job. The tools we
> have right now:
>
> os-collect-config - agent to collect data from config sources and trigger
> commands on changes. [1]
>
> os-refresh-config - run scripts to manage state during config changes
> (run-parts but more structured) [2]
>
> os-apply-config - write config files [3]
>
> [1] http://pypi.python.org/pypi/os-collect-config
> [2] http://pypi.python.org/pypi/os-refresh-config
> [3] http://pypi.python.org/pypi/os-apply-config
>
> We do not have a tool to do run-time software installation, because we
> are working on an image based deployment method (thus building images
> with diskimage-builder).  IMO, there are so many good tools already
> written that get this job done, doing one just for the sake of it being
> OpenStack native is a low priority.
>
> However, a minimal thing is needed for Heat users so they can use it to
> install those better tools for ongoing run-time configuration. cfn-init
> is actually pretty good. Its only crime other than being born of Amazon
> is that it also does a few other jobs, namely file writing and service
> management.

Right, there has been some discussion going on to find the right level of
software orchestration to go into Heat. As Clint said, there are a couple
of things out there already, like what the tripleO project has been doing.
And there are proposals / discussions going on to see who users could
include some level of software orchestration into HOT, e.g.

https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Heat/Software-Configuration-Provider

and how such constructs in HOT would align with assets already out there.
So Georgy's item is another one in that direction and it would be good to
find some common denominator.

> Anyway, before you run off and write an agent, I hope you will take a
look
> at os-collect-config and considering using it. For the command to run, I
> recommend os-refresh-config as you can have it run a progression of
config
> tools. For what to run in the configuration step of os-refresh-config,
> cfn-init would work, however there is a blueprint for a native interface
> that might be a bit different here:
>
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/heat/+spec/native-tools-bootstrap-config
>
> > When do you have a meeting for HOT software configuration discussion? I
> > think we can add value here for Heat as we have already required
components
> > for software orchestration with full integration with OpenStack and
> > Keystone in particular.
>
> Heat meets at 2000 UTC every Wednesday.
>
> TripleO meets at 2000 UTC every Tuesday.
>
> Hope to see you there!

In addition, it looks like there will be some design sessions on that topic
at the HK summit, so if you happen to be there that could be another good
chance to talk.