[openstack-dev] [Spam] Heat stack-create fails in TripleO devtest environment

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Tue Oct 1 01:52:43 UTC 2013

Excerpts from hideyasu hayashi's message of 2013-09-30 18:29:24 -0700:
> Dear List,
>

>  Hi, I set up TripleO devtest environment on VMware(Ubuntu 12.04.3 LTS)
> according to devtest described in
> http://docs.openstack.org/developer/tripleo-incubator/devtest.html
>

>  There are 50 steps. I set up following the procedures, but it fails.
>
>  Does anyone know how to debug?
>
>  If anyone was successful, tell me your enviroment.(OS..)
>

>  (TripleO devtest URL)
>
>  http://docs.openstack.org/developer/tripleo-incubator/devtest.html
>

>   (Failed detail)
>

>  We are failed in step 27th, that create UnderCloud Stack with Heat.
>

>  --27. Deploy an undercloud: -----------------
>
>   heat stack-create -f
> $TRIPLEO_ROOT/tripleo-heat-templates/undercloud-vm.yaml \
>
>     -P
> "PowerUserName=$(whoami);AdminToken=${UNDERCLOUD_ADMIN_TOKEN};AdminPassword=${UNDERCLOUD_ADMIN_PASSWORD};GlancePassword=${UNDERCLOUD_GLANCE_PASSWORD};HeatPassword=${UNDERCLOUD_HEAT_PASSWORD};NeutronPassword=${UNDERCLOUD_NEUTRON_PASSWORD};NovaPassword=${UNDERCLOUD_NOVA_PASSWORD};BaremetalArch=${NODE_ARCH}"
> \
>
>     undercloud
>
>  ----------------------------------------
>

>  I had run the command "heat stack-create -f $TRIPLEO_ROOT/tripleo..",but
>  stack_staus result an  failed.
>

>   ---- heat creat result ------------------------
>
>   root at ubuntu:~/tripleo# heat stack-list
>

> +--------------------------------------+-------------+---------------+----------------------+
>
>   | id                                   | stack_name  | stack_status  |
> creation_time        |
>

> +--------------------------------------+-------------+---------------+----------------------+
>
>   | c28d0e20-9270-4716-9b0c-ce7b80c96dab | undercloud  | CREATE_FAILED |
> 2013-09-25T09:24:37Z |
>

> +--------------------------------------+-------------+---------------+----------------------+

Hello Hideyasu, thanks for trying out TripleO!

The usual cause of a failure at this point is failing SSH from seed VM
to host.

Commands to debug:

## show the list of events and the specific resource that failed.
heat event-list undercloud

## show the error message that caused the failure
heat event-show undercloud resource_name event_id

Now, most likely, you have an error on the creation of the "notcompute"
resource. If so, you will have a server in ERROR state here:

## list my servers
nova list

If so, try

# Show details about the server
nova show server_id

This may or may not be helpful, as many problems boil down to "I couldn't
find a host to deploy to".

You can look on the seed VM for clues in
/var/log/upstart/nova-compute.log.

It takes 60 seconds to see the registered baremetal nodes in the nova
scheduler, so just deleting the stack and trying again can work. This is
likely since you are running a nested VM, so timeouts are common because
everything takes a _lot_ longer on nested vms. I highly recommend getting
real hardware to use if you can.

## delete stack
heat stack-delete undercloud

I hope all of this helps.