[openstack-dev] [oslo] maintenance policy for code graduating from the incubator

Doug Hellmann doug.hellmann at dreamhost.com
Fri Nov 29 18:39:22 UTC 2013

We have a review up (https://review.openstack.org/#/c/58297/) to add some
features to the notification system in the oslo incubator. THe notification
system is being moved into oslo.messaging, and so we have the question of
whether to accept the patch to the incubated version, move it to
oslo.messaging, or carry it in both.

As I say in the review, from a practical standpoint I think we can't really
support continued development in both places. Given the number of times the
topic of "just make everything a library" has come up, I would prefer that
we focus our energy on completing the transition for a given module or
library once it the process starts. We also need to avoid feature drift,
and provide a clear incentive for projects to update to the new library.

Based on that, I would like to say that we do not add new features to
incubated code after it starts moving into a library, and only provide
"stable-like" bug fix support until integrated projects are moved over to
the graduated library (although even that is up for discussion). After all
integrated projects that use the code are using the library instead of the
incubator, we can delete the module(s) from the incubator.

Before we make this policy official, I want to solicit feedback from the
rest of the community and the Oslo core team.

Thanks,

Doug