[openstack-dev] [Ceilometer] storage driver testing

Sandy Walsh sandy.walsh at rackspace.com
Fri Nov 29 17:05:20 UTC 2013

On 11/29/2013 11:32 AM, Nadya Privalova wrote:
> Hello Sandy,
>
> I'm very interested in performance results for Ceilometer. Now we have
> successfully installed Ceilometer in the HA-lab with 200 computes and 3
> controllers. Now it works pretty good with MySQL. Our next steps are:
>
> 1. Configure alarms
> 2. Try to use Rally for OpenStack performance with MySQL and MongoDB
> (https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Rally)
>
> We are open to any suggestions.

Awesome, as a group we really need to start a similar effort as the
storage driver tests for ceilometer in general.

I assume you're just pulling Samples via the agent? We're really just
focused on event storage and retrieval.

There seems to be three levels of load testing required:
1. testing through the collectors (either sample or event collection)
2. testing load on the CM api
3. testing the storage drivers.

Sounds like you're addressing #1, we're addressing #3 and Tempest
integration tests will be handling #2.

I should also add that we've instrumented the db and ceilometer hosts
using Diamond to statsd/graphite for tracking load on the hosts while
the tests are underway. This will help with determining how many
collectors we need, where the bottlenecks are coming from, etc.

It might be nice to standardize on that so we can compare results?

-S