[openstack-dev] [Openstack][qa][Tempest][Network] Test for external connectivity

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Thu Nov 28 17:11:03 UTC 2013

On 2013-11-28 06:46:27 -0500 (-0500), Yair Fried wrote:
[...]
> 4. Jeremy Stanley - "test check for no fewer than three addresses"
> -- Why?

If your tests try to communicate with addresses which are truly
outside your own network, and thus outside your sphere of control,
you don't want them failing because of maintenance on the system
being pinged (don't just trust in a third party's HA to be working
around the clock--I've been burned there before as well). Also, the
Internet is not generally trustworthy, least of all for a
low-priority protocol like ICMP type echo/echo-reply. Send several
each to several remote addresses and as long as at least one reply
comes back, there is *probably* working egress.

Also, even at that level of belt-and-braces paranoia, I'm pretty
sure we won't want this test enabled in upstream CI unless we can
fake an "external" address on a loopback within the DevStack server
itself (or perhaps if the addresses belong to remote things on which
the test already depends, such as our PyPI mirror and Git farm, but
that still adds a requirement for layer 4 NAT on the DevStack VM).
--
Jeremy Stanley