[openstack-dev] [Hacking] License headers in empty files

Roman Prykhodchenko rprikhodchenko at mirantis.com
Thu Nov 28 17:06:46 UTC 2013

Hi folks,

according to our hacking rules all source files should contain the Apache license header in the beginning (http://docs.openstack.org/developer/hacking/#openstack-licensing).
There are special files that in most of the cases are empty, i.e., __init__.py.

I used to put license headers to __init__ files when I was working on Neutron or Ironic. However, recently I got
a feedback for one of my patches from several folks that said that licence headers should be removed from __init__ files because
empty files are not source files.

The point of this email is _not_ to blame someone or to push my personal opinion to the folks who gave me the feedback. What I'm trying to do is to to bring more clarity to our hacking rules because, as I see, currently different folks interpret them differently.

- Roman