[openstack-dev] [heat][horizon]Heat UI related requirements & roadmap

Thomas Spatzier thomas.spatzier at de.ibm.com
Thu Nov 28 07:21:52 UTC 2013

Excerpts from Zane Bitter's message on 27.11.2013 20:17:56:
> From: Zane Bitter <zbitter at redhat.com>
> To: openstack-dev at lists.openstack.org,
> Date: 27.11.2013 20:21
> Subject: Re: [openstack-dev] [heat][horizon]Heat UI related
> requirements & roadmap
>
> On 27/11/13 18:16, Tim Schnell wrote:
> >
> > On 11/27/13 10:09 AM, "Zane Bitter" <zbitter at redhat.com> wrote:
> >
> >> On 26/11/13 22:24, Tim Schnell wrote:

<snip>

> > As a team, we have already encountered this exact situation just doing
> > team testing so I imagine that others would find value in a consistent
way
> > to determine at least a general purpose of a stack, from the stack-list
> > page. Putting the stack-description in the stack-list table would take
up
> > too much room from a design standpoint.
> >
> > Once keywords has been added to the template then part of the blueprint
> > would be to return it with the stack-list information.
>
> Other OpenStack APIs have user-defined 'tags' associated with resources.
> Maybe we should implement something like this for Heat stacks also.
> (i.e. it's in the API, not the template.) When the dashboard launches a
> template out of the template catalog, it could automatically populate
> the tags with the ones from the catalog metadata?

I think allowing to tag stacks would be a neat feature and should solve the
use case as I have understood it.
And as you said, other services like Cinder allow it, too. So would be
consistent with others.

Regards,
Thomas

> >> In the longer term, there seems to be a lot of demand for some sort of
> >> template catalog service, like Glance for templates. (I disagree with
> >> Clint that it should actually _be_ Glance the project as we know it,
for
> >> the reasons Steve B mentioned earlier, but the concept is right.) And
> >> this brings us back to a very similar situation to the
operator-provided
> >> template catalog (indeed, that use case would likely be subsumed by
this
> >> one).

HOT

> >> +1. If we decide that the template is the proper place for these tags
> >> then this is the perfect way to do it IMO (assuming that it's actually
> >> list, not a comma-separated string). It's a standard format that we
can
> >> document and any tool can recognise, the name "keywords" describes
> >> exactly what it does and there's no confusion with "tags" in Nova and
EC2.

> >> This is not a use case, it's a specification. There seems to be a lot
of
> >> confusion about the difference, so let me sum it up:
> >>
> >> Why - Use Case
> >> What - Specification
> >> How - Design Document (i.e. Code)
> >>
> >> I know this all sounds very top-down, and believe me that's not my
> >> philosophy. But design is essentially a global optimisation problem -
we
> >> need to see the whole picture to properly evaluate any given design
(or,
> >> indeed, to find an alternate design), and you're only giving us one
> >> small piece near the very bottom.
> >>
> >> A use case is something that a user of Heat needs to do.
> >>
> >> An example of a use case would be: The user needs to see two types of
> >> information in Horizon that are styled differently/shown at different
> >> times/other (please specify) so that they can ______________________.
> >>
> >> I'm confident that a valid use case _does_ actually exist here, but
you
> >> haven't described it yet.
> >
> > Here is my use case for separating description and help text:
> >
> > Description and help are separate things from a UI perspective. A
> > description might be displayed as a label in a form or in a paragraph
> > somewhere around the input. A help string is typically displayed as
hover
> > text when focusing on the input or hovering/clicking on a question mark
> > icon next to the field. We could technically separate these things in
the
> > code but because they serve separate purposes I would prefer to have
them
> > be defined explicitly.
>
> Thanks, this is helpful. I'm warming to this; if it's in a separate
> pop-up bubble, as opposed to expanding below the existing description,
> it seems like a separate thing worthy of it's own key.

> >> It's not at all clear to me that these are different pieces of
> >> information. They both describe the parameter and they're both there
> >> help the user. It would be easier to figure out what the right thing
> >> would be if you gave an example of what you had in mind for how
Horizon
> >> should display these. Even without that, though, it seems to me that
the
> >> help is just adding more detail to the description.
> >>
> >> One idea I suggested in the review comments is to just interpret the
> >> first paragraph as the description and any subsequent paragraphs as
the
> >> help. There is ample precedent for that kind of interpretation in
things
> >> like Python docstrings and Git commit messages.

> will be used to
> >>
> >> (Side note: you're seriously going to let users stick HTML in the
> >> template and then have the dashboard display it?  Yikes.)
> >
> > FWIW, I said the exact same thing to Keith Bray and his answer was,
"why
> > not?"
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross-site_scripting
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross-site_request_forgery
>
> Not to mention how easily it can screw up the formatting of the page.
>
> > The UI is already making determinations about what HTML to generate
based
> > on the template. For example, the parameter label to display just
> > unslugifies the parameter key. This is a somewhat tangential discussion
> > though, and I do have reservations about it. Maybe Keith can jump in
and
> > defend this better.
>
> That's a very different thing to emitting user-generated HTML. Of course
> it is possible to do this safely, but it's a lot of work and very easy
> to get wrong.
>
> It's much easier to recognise (safe) URLs in plain text and convert them
> to links. Or to adopt a de-facto formatting language, like Markdown,
> that is readable in plain text.

> >> +1 sounds reasonable

> >> Veering into specification territory again.

> >> +2 random order sucks

> >> -2 this is horrible.
> >>
> >> Imagine how much work this is for the poor author! At least they don't
> >> have to maintain parallel hierarchies of matching key names like in
the
> >> original proposal, but they still have to manually maintain multiple
> >> lists of orderings. What if you wanted to add another parameter at the
> >> beginning? Maybe we should encourage authors to number parameters with
> >> multiples of 10. Like BASIC programmers in the '80s.
> >>
> >> And of course if you don't specify the order explicitly then you get
> >> random order again. Sigh.
> >>
> >> There's only one way that this is even remotely maintainable for a
> >> template author, and that's if they group and order stuff manually
> >> anyway (like you have in your example - people will do this
> >> automatically by themselves even if the syntax doesn't require them
to).
> >> Since they have to do this, just display the parameters in the UI in
the
> >> same order that they are defined in the file. This does the Right
Thing

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/56703/7/doc/source/template_guide/hot_spe