[openstack-dev] [Solum] [Security]

Nathan Kinder nkinder at redhat.com
Wed Nov 27 19:39:17 UTC 2013

On 11/27/2013 08:58 AM, Paul Montgomery wrote:
> I created some relatively high level security best practices that I
> thought would apply to Solum.  I don't think it is ever too early to get
> mindshare around security so that developers keep that in mind throughout
> the project.  When a design decision point could easily go two ways,
> perhaps these guidelines can sway direction towards a more secure path.
>
> This is a living document, please contribute and let's discuss topics.
> I've worn a security hat in various jobs so I'm always interested. :)
> Also, I realize that many of these features may not directly be
> encapsulated by Solum but rather components such as KeyStone or Horizon.
>
> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Solum/Security

This is a great start.

I think we really need to work towards a set of overarching security
guidelines and best practices that can be applied to all of the
projects.  I know that each project may have unique security needs, but
it would be really great to have a central set of agreed upon
cross-project guidelines that a developer can follow.

This is a goal that we have in the OpenStack Security Group.  I am happy
to work on coordinating this.  For defining these guidelines, I think a
"working group" approach might be best, where we have an interested
representative from each project be involved.  Does this approach make
sense to others?

Thanks,
-NGK