[openstack-dev] [neutron] Why neutron-openvswitch-agent use linux-bridge?

George Shuklin george.shuklin at gmail.com
Wed Nov 27 18:45:59 UTC 2013

Good day.

I looking at the internals of bridge layout of openvswitch agent at
http://docs.openstack.org/network-admin/admin/content/figures/2/figures/under-the-hood-scenario-1-ovs-compute.png
and wondering, why this scheme is so complicated and why it use linux
bridge and vethes with openvswitch together? Why no just plug tap device
directly to openvswitch bridge without intermediate brctl bridge?

I guess that was caused by some important consideration, but I unable to
find any documents about this.

If someone know reasons for that complex construction with different
bridges, please response.

Thanks.