[openstack-dev] [oslo] rpc concurrency control rfc

Edward Hope-Morley edward.hope-morley at canonical.com
Wed Nov 27 18:43:42 UTC 2013

On 27/11/13 18:20, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 27, 2013 at 06:10:47PM +0000, Edward Hope-Morley wrote:

>>> I don't think it is valid to ignore tenant-based attacks in this. You
>>> have a single resource here and it can be consumed by the tenant
>>> OS, by the VM associated with the tenant or by Nova itself. As such,
>>> IMHO adding rate limiting to Nova APIs alone is a non-solution because
>>> you've still left it wide open to starvation by any number of other
>>> routes which are arguably even more critical to address than the API
>>> calls.
>>>
>>> Daniel
>> Daniel, maybe I have misunderstood you here but with this optional
>> extension I am (a) not intending to solve DOS issues and (b) not
>> "ignoring" DOS issues since I do not expect to be adding any beyond or
>> accentuating those that already exist. The issue here is QOS not DOS.
> I consider QOS & DOS to be two sides of the same coin here. A denial of
> service is anything which affects the quality of service of the host.
> It doesn't have to be done with malicious intent either. I don't think
> your proposal provides significant QOS benefits except under some very
> narrowly constrained scenario, of which I'm yet to be convinced is
> very applicable to the bigger picture / real world deployment scneario.
>
> Daniel
Daniel,

lets flip this coin for a second and say if I have a cinder-volume node
that is using LVM with comparitively slow disks to some other nodes and
therefore I wanted to avoid having too many volume delete requests
(which will zero out the whole volume) from starving disk IO from tenant
reads/writes on those disks. Do we have a way to prevent this currently?
If not then I think this extension may come in handy.