[openstack-dev] [Ceilometer] storage driver testing

Sandy Walsh sandy.walsh at RACKSPACE.COM
Wed Nov 27 17:42:03 UTC 2013

Hey!

We've ballparked that we need to store a million events per day. To that end, we're flip-flopping between sql and no-sql solutions, hybrid solutions that include elastic search and other schemes. Seems every road we go down has some limitations. So, we've started working on test suite for load testing the ceilometer storage drivers. The intent is to have a common place to record our findings and compare with the efforts of others.

There's an etherpad where we're tracking our results [1] and a test suite that we're building out [2]. The test suite works against a fork of ceilometer where we can keep our experimental storage driver tweaks [3].

The test suite hits the storage drivers directly, bypassing the api, but still uses the ceilometer models. We've added support for dumping the results to statsd/graphite for charting of performance results in real-time.

If you're interested in large scale deployments of ceilometer, we would welcome any assistance.

Thanks!
-Sandy

[1] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/ceilometer-data-store-scale-testing
[2] https://github.com/rackerlabs/ceilometer-load-tests