[openstack-dev] [qa] Major change to tempest.conf.sample coming

Matthew Treinish mtreinish at kortar.org
Wed Nov 27 14:40:56 UTC 2013

On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 02:42:34PM -0500, David Kranz wrote:
> This is a heads up that soon we will be auto-generating the
> tempest.conf.sample from the tempest code that uses oslo.config.
> Following in the footsteps of nova, this should reduce bugs around
> failures to keep the config code and the sample conf file in sync
> manually. So when you add a new item to the config code you will no
> longer have to make a corresponding change to the sample conf file.
> This change, along with some tooling, is in
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/53870/ which is currently blocked
> on a rebase. Obviously once this merges, any pending patches with
> changes to the conf file will have to be updated to remove the
> changes to the conf file.

So this change was merged earlier this week meaning that any proposed commit
that changes a config option (including adding them) will need to re-generate
the sample config file. There was some initial confusion on the procedure for
doing this. If you need to regenerate the tempest sample config just run:

tools/generate_sample.sh

from the tempest root dir and that will regenerate the sample config file.

Also, the tox pep8 job will check that the config sample is up to date so you
can run the check to see if you need to regenerate the sample config with:

tox -epep8

Thanks,

-Matt Treinish