[openstack-dev] [nova] [QA] Triaging Bugs during Review

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Tue Nov 26 22:26:42 UTC 2013

On Tue, 2013-11-26 at 13:06 -0800, Vishvananda Ishaya wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I tend to follow merges and look for valuable havana backports. A few bug
> fixes have merged recently where the associated bug is untriaged (i.e. the
> severity is listed as 'Unknown'). I assume that reviewers of a bugfix
> patch are viewing the associated bugs. It makes sense for core-reviewers
> to do some related bug triaging work in the process. It also would be
> very helpful if they could be tagged for potential backport at the same time.
>
> So I'm suggesting two things during review:
>
> 1. If you are reviewing a patch and the severity of the associated bug is
>    set as unknown, then you set an appropriate severity[1].
> 2. If the bug is important and seems relatively self-contained that you
>    mark it with the havana-backport-potential tag during review.
>
> These two things should only take a matter of seconds, and will greatly help
> the stable-maintainers team.
>
> I will add these responsibilities to the review checklist[2] unless I hear
> some disagreement here.

FWIW, I totally agree and do this out of habit. Thanks for raising it.

But ... oh wow! We have 103 Nova bugs tagged with
havana-backport-potential?

  https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bugs?field.tag=havana-backport-potential

Are some of these getting backported but the tag isn't being removed?
The thinking originally was that the tag would be removed as soon as a
havana task for the bug was opened.

Mark.