[openstack-dev] [Ceilometer][qa] Tenant isolation - IntegrityError exception

Eoghan Glynn eglynn at redhat.com
Tue Nov 26 14:14:33 UTC 2013

Hi Nejc,

Apologies for the delay in responding, I'm just getting to grips with
Tempest myself.

So the problem here is nothing to do with whether the tenant
exists in keystone, in fact creating an alarm with a completely
fictitious project_id will work just fine in general.

Rather it appears to be an artifact of how the alarm creation
logic was added to the sqlalchemy driver in such a way as to rely
on sqlalchemy session merge to create the corresponding entries
in the project & user tables[1].

Then subsequently a *later* migration[2] was added to assert
foreign key constraints for those project & user IDs.

I'm no sqlalchemy expert, but I don't think session merge is a
reliable way to ensure creation of the corresponding rows in the
related tables in order to satisfy the foreign key constraints.

I've filed a bug[3] and will propose a patch to explicitly create
the project & user IDs. This should address the intermittent
failure you're seeing.

Cheers,
Eoghan

[1] https://github.com/openstack/ceilometer/commit/2c84007b