[openstack-dev] [all project] Treating recently seen recheck bugs as critical across the board

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Tue Nov 26 11:23:51 UTC 2013

Dolph Mathews wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 8:12 PM, Robert Collins
> <robertc at robertcollins.net <mailto:robertc at robertcollins.net>> wrote:
>
>     So my proposal is that we make it part of the base hygiene for a
>     project that any recheck bugs being seen (either by elastic-recheck or
>     manual inspection) be considered critical and prioritised above
>     feature work.
>
> I agree with the notion here (that fixing transient failures is
> critically high priority work for the community) -- but marking the bug
> as "critical" priority is just a subjective abuse of the priority field.
> A non-critical bug is not necessarily non-critical work. The "critical"
> status should be reserved for issues that are actually non-shippable,
> catastrophically breaking issues.

It's a classic bugtracking dilemma where the "Importance" field is both
used to describe bug impact and priority... while they don't always match.

That said, the "impact" of those bugs, considering potential development
activity breakage, *is* quite critical (they all are timebombs which
will create future gate fails if not handled at top priority).

So I think marking them Critical + tagging them is not that much of an
abuse, if we start including the gate impact in our bug Impact
assessments. That said, I'm also fine with High+Tag, as long as it
triggers the appropriate fast response everywhere.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)