[openstack-dev] [heat][horizon]Heat UI related requirements & roadmap

Tim Schnell tim.schnell at RACKSPACE.COM
Mon Nov 25 22:51:39 UTC 2013

Hi Steve,

As one of the UI developers driving the requirements behind these new
blueprints I wanted to take a moment to assure you and the rest of the
Openstack community that the primary purpose of pushing these requirements
out to the community is to help improve the User Experience for Heat for
everyone. Every major UI feature that I have implemented for Heat has been
included in Horizon, see the Heat Topology, and these requirements should
improve the value of Heat, regardless of the UI.

Stack/template metadata
We have a fundamental need to have the ability to reference some
additional metadata about a template that Heat does not care about. There
are many possible use cases for this need but the primary point is that we
need a place in the template where we can iterate on the schema of the
metadata without going through a lengthy design review. As far as I know,
we are the only team attempting to actually productize Heat at the moment
and this means that we are encountering requirements and requests that do
not affect Heat directly but simply require Heat to allow a little wiggle
room to flesh out a great user experience.

There is precedence for an optional metadata section that can contain any
end-user data in other Openstack projects and it is necessary in order to
iterate quickly and provide value to Heat.

There are many use cases that can be discussed here, but I wanted to
reiterate an initial discussion point that, by definition,
"stack/template_metadata" does not have any hard requirements in terms of
schema or what does or does not belong in it.

One of the initial use cases is to allow template authors to categorize
the template as a specific "type".

	template_metadata:
	    short_description: Wordpress

This would let the client of the Heat API group the templates by type
which would create a better user experience when selecting or managing
templates. The the end-user could select "Wordpress" and drill down
further to select templates with different options, "single node", "2 web
nodes", etc...

Once a feature has consistently proven that it adds value to Heat or
Horizon, then I would suggest that we can discuss the schema for that
feature and codify it then.

In order to keep the discussion simple, I am only responding to the need
for stack/template metadata at the moment but I'm sure discussions on the
management api and template catalog will follow.

Thanks,
Tim
@tims on irc