[openstack-dev] [Nova] Hypervisor CI requirement and deprecation plan

Matt Riedemann mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Mon Nov 25 22:19:27 UTC 2013

On 11/15/2013 9:28 AM, Dan Smith wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> As you know, Nova adopted a plan to require CI testing for all our
> in-tree hypervisors by the Icehouse release. At the summit last week, we
> determined the actual plan for deprecating non-compliant drivers. I put
> together a page detailing the specific requirements we're putting in
> place as well as a plan and timeline for how the deprecation process
> will proceed:
>
> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/HypervisorSupportMatrix/DeprecationPlan
>
> I also listed the various drivers and whether we've heard any concrete
> plans from them. Driver owners should feel free to add details to that
> and correct any of the statements if incorrect.
>
> Thanks!
>
> --Dan

I'll play devil's advocate here and ask this question before someone
else does.  I'm assuming that the requirement of a 'full' tempest run
means running this [1].  Is that correct?  It's just confusing sometimes
because there are other things in Tempest that aren't in the 'full' run,
like stress tests.

Assuming that's what 'full' means, it's running API, CLI, third party
(boto), and scenario tests.  Does it make sense to require a nova virt
driver's CI to run API tests for keystone, heat and swift?  Or couldn't
the nova virt driver CI be scoped down to just the compute API tests?
The argument against that is probably that the network/image/volume
tests may create instances using nova to do their API testing also.  The
same would apply for the CLI tests since those are broken down by
service, i.e. why would I need to run keystone and ceilometer CLI tests
for a nova virt driver?

If nothing else, I think we could firm up the wording on the wiki a bit
around the requirements and what that means for scope.

[1] https://github.com/openstack/tempest/blob/master/tox.ini#L33

Matt Riedemann