[openstack-dev] Unwedging the gate

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Mon Nov 25 14:52:02 UTC 2013

On 11/25/2013 04:23 AM, Clint Byrum wrote:
> Excerpts from Joe Gordon's message of 2013-11-24 21:00:58 -0800:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> TL;DR Last week the gate got wedged on nondeterministic failures. Unwedging
>> the gate required drastic actions to fix bugs.
>>

> <snip>
>
> (great write-up, thank you for the details, and thank you for fixing
> it!)
>

>> Now that we have the gate back into working order, we are working on the
>> next steps to prevent this from happening again.  The two most immediate
>> changes are:
>>
>>    - Doing a better job of triaging gate bugs  (
>>    http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2013-November/020048.html
>>     ).
>>

>>    - In the next few days we will remove  'reverify no bug' (although you
>>    will still be able to run 'reverify bug x'.
>>

> I am curious, why not also disable 'recheck no bug'?

recheck no bug still has a host of valid use cases. Often times I use it
when I upload a patch, it fails because of a thing somewhere else, we
fix that, and I need to recheck the patch because it should work now.

It's also not nearly as dangerous as reverify no bug.

> I see this as a failure of bug triage. A bug that has more than 1
> recheck/reverify attached to it is worth a developer's time. The data
> gathered through so many test runs is invaluable when chasing races like
> the ones that cause these intermittent failures. If every core dev of
> every project spent 10 working minutes every day looking at the rechecks
> page to see if there is an untriaged recheck there, or just triaging bugs
> in general, I suspect we'd fix these a lot quicker.
>
> I do wonder if we would be able to commit enough resources to just run
> two copies of the gate in parallel each time and require both to pass.
> Doubling the odds* that we will catch an intermittent failure seems like
> something that might be worth doubling the compute resources used by
> the gate.

Funny story- there is a patch coming to do just that.