[openstack-dev] [Openstack-dev][Neutron] Handling of ovs command errors

Salvatore Orlando sorlando at nicira.com
Mon Nov 25 14:28:24 UTC 2013

Hi,

I've been recently debugging some issues I've had with the OVS agent, and I
found out that in many  cases (possibly every case) the code just logs
errors from ovs-vsctl and ovs-ofctl without taking any action in the
control flow.

For instance, the routine which should do the wiring for a port, port_bound
[1], does not react in any way if it fails to configure the local vlan,
which I guess means the port would not be able to send/receive any data.

I'm pretty sure there's a good reason for this which I'm missing at the
moment. I am asking because I see a pretty large number of ALARM_CLOCK
errors returned by OVS commands in gate logs (see bug [2]), and I'm not
sure whether it's ok to handle them as the OVS agent is doing nowadays.

Regards,
Salvatore

[1]
https://github.com/openstack/neutron/blob/master/neutron/plugins/openvswitch/agent/ovs_neutron_agent.py#L599