[openstack-dev] [nova] future fate of nova-network?

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Mon Nov 25 10:02:07 UTC 2013

Russell Bryant wrote:
> On 11/22/2013 12:55 PM, Lorin Hochstein wrote:
>> To that end, I recommend posting questions like "We're thinking of
>> making large change 'X', how will that affect existing OpenStack
>> deployments?" to the openstack-operators mailing list.
>>
>> I know there are several OpenStack operators who don't subscribe to
>> openstack or openstack-dev lists because of the enormous traffic volume.
>
> I honestly don't understand why openstack@ and openstack-operators@ are
> different lists.  Perhaps openstack@ just needs better use of topic
> tagging ...

Fully agree: everything we'd post to "openstack-operators" would have to
be cross-posted to "openstack", which is proof that -operators is
redundant. It's a convenience list to keep traffic low, more than a
specific set of topics... and that doesn't work well (MLs should always
be defined by the topic of their threads, not by their audience or the
amount of traffic).

With proper tagging I'm pretty sure it would be manageable and could be
merged back. The trick being, since we positioned openstack@ as the
"default" list, a lot of newcomers post there and do not use proper
prefixes... which makes it more difficult to filter.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)