[openstack-dev] Unwedging the gate

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Mon Nov 25 06:48:54 UTC 2013

On 25 November 2013 19:25, Joe Gordon <joe.gordon0 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 24, 2013 at 9:58 PM, Robert Collins <robertc at robertcollins.net>
> wrote:
>>
>> I have a proposal - I think we should mark all recheck bugs critical,
>> and the respective project PTLs should actively shop around amongst
>> their contributors to get them fixed before other work: we should
>> drive the known set of nondeterministic issues down to 0 and keep it
>> there.
>

> Yes! In fact we are already working towards that. See
> http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2013-November/020048.html

Indeed I saw that thread - I think I'm proposing something slightly
different, or perhaps 'gate blocking' needs clearing up. Which is -
that once we have sufficient evidence to believe there is a
nondeterministic bug in trunk, whether or not the gate is obviously
suffering, we should consider it critical immediately. I don't think
we need 24h action on such bugs at that stage - gate blocking zomg
issues obviously do though!

The goal here would be to drive the steady state of 'recheck needed'
so low that most people never encounter it. And break the social
pattern that has been building up.

-Rob

--
Robert Collins <rbtcollins at hp.com>