[openstack-dev] [Nova][Schduler] Volunteers wanted for a modest proposal for an external scheduler in our lifetime

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Sun Nov 24 18:39:00 UTC 2013

I think everyone agrees we need a unified scheduler. Boris' approach
is to move the storage to memcache so the DB is no longer part of the
picture, and then move the scheduler out of Nova, rinse and repeat for
Cinder etc.

My approach is to move the scheduler out of Nova, and then let folk do
whatever they need/want to do to the now separate scheduler - and
refine the interface subsequently as well.

I think both approaches are doable, and can even be done in parallel
(just keep the code that moves synced). My concern about moving the
data store /first/ is that that is secondary to the key goal of moving
it out of tree, and we work on a fast time scale here :).

-Rob

On 23 November 2013 06:01, Khanh-Toan Tran
<khanh-toan.tran at cloudwatt.com> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I'm very interested in this subject as well. Actually there is also a discussion of the possibility of an independent scheduler in the mailisg list:
> http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2013-November/019518.html
>
> Would it be possible to discuss about this subject in the next Scheduler meeting Nov 26th?
>
> Best regards,
>
> Toan

Robert Collins <rbtcollins at hp.com>
Distinguished Technologist