[openstack-dev] [Solum] Working group on language packs

Clayton Coleman ccoleman at redhat.com
Sat Nov 23 05:43:40 UTC 2013

> On Nov 22, 2013, at 9:54 PM, Monty Taylor <mordred at inaugust.com> wrote:
>

>> On 11/22/2013 11:34 AM, Clayton Coleman wrote:
>> I have updated the language pack (name subject to change) blueprint
>> with the outcomes from the face2face meetings, and drafted a
>> specification that captures the discussion so far.  The spec is
>> centered around the core idea of transitioning base images into
>> deployable images (that can be stored in Nova and sent to Glance).
>> These are *DRAFT* and are intended for public debate.
>>
>> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/solum/+spec/lang-pack
>> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Solum/FeatureBlueprints/BuildingSourceIntoDeploymentArtifacts
>>
>> Please take this opportunity to review these documents and offer
>> criticism and critique via the ML - I will schedule a follow up deep
>> dive for those who expressed interest in participation [1] after US
>> Thanksgiving.
>
> Hi!
>
> I'd strongly suggest looking at the diskimage-builder project that's
> part of the TripleO program. Someone has already done a POC of turning
> it in to an aaS, and there are already people working on tying
> diskimage-builder elements and heat templates. Given that OpenStack has
> prior art and work in this direction, you should be able to accelerate
> getting to your goals pretty quickly.

diskimage-builder is definitely a primary tool choice for an openstack deployer creating vm images, and should certainly be promoted where possible.  I'll add an example to the doc.

The spec does try to be agnostic to the actual image creation technology in play - organizations using containers or Windows images may have alternative preferences about the underlying mechanism by which they generate images.  Decoupling the image creation from how the image is used is a key goal, especially since organizations often want to separate environment preparation and development along role lines.