[openstack-dev] [Nova][Glance] Support of v1 and v2 glance APIs in Nova

Matt Riedemann mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Sat Nov 23 02:07:55 UTC 2013

On Friday, November 22, 2013 5:52:17 PM, Russell Bryant wrote:
> On 11/22/2013 06:01 PM, Christopher Yeoh wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Nov 23, 2013 at 8:33 AM, Matt Riedemann
>> <mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com <mailto:mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com>> wrote:

>>      21:51:42 <dolphm> i just hope that the version discovery mechanism
>>      is smart enough to realize when it's handed a versioned endpoint,
>>      and happily run with that
>>      21:52:00 <dolphm> (by calling that endpoint and doing proper discovery)
>>      21:52:24 <russellb> dolphm: yeah, need to handle that gracefully ...
>>

>> Just one point here (and perhaps I'm misunderstanding what was meant),
>> but if the catalog points to a versioned endpoint
>> shouldn't we just use that version rather than trying to discover what
>> other versions may be
>> available. Although we'll have cases of it just being set to a versioned
>> endpoint because thats how it
>> has been done in the past I think we should be making the assumption
>> that if we're pointed to a specific version,
>> that is the one we should be using.
>
> Agreed, and I think that's what Dolph and I meant.

That also covers the override case that was expressed a few different
times in this thread, giving the admin the ability to pin his
environment to the version he knows and trusts during, for example,
upgrades, and then slowly transitioning to a newer API.  The nice thing
with that approach is it should keep config options with hard-coded
versions out of nova.conf which is what was being proposed in the
glance and cinder v2 blueprint patches.

Matt Riedemann