[openstack-dev] [Nova][Schduler] Volunteers wanted for a modest proposal for an external scheduler in our lifetime

Yathiraj Udupi (yudupi) yudupi at cisco.com
Fri Nov 22 19:07:39 UTC 2013

I would definitely like to take part in this discussion and also
contribute where I can.  I was part of the scheduler sessions in the
recent summit along with Debo Dutta, Gary Kotton, and Mike Spreitzer and
we had proposed sessions on smart resource placement, and also the
instance group API work for nova.  We have been discussing this at our
weekly scheduler meetings as well.
I am also in the process of contributing a Solver Scheduler - a
constraints-solver based way of finding optimal resource placements in
openstack.
In our smart resource placement proposal, we discussed a high level
overview of scheduling considering cross services, and it hints at how the
scheduler should sit outside as a separate service.  But we decided to
start within Nova first.

This work of separating the scheduler is very promising, and I definitely
would like to be involved in this effort.

Thanks,
Yathi.

‹