[openstack-dev] [Oslo] Improving oslo-incubator update.py

Flavio Percoco flavio at redhat.com
Fri Nov 22 09:11:16 UTC 2013

Greetings,

Based on the recent discussion that came out about not having enough
information in the commit message when syncing oslo-incubator modules,
I was thinking that besides encouraging people to write better commit
messages, we could also improve the script we use to sync those
modules.

Some of the changes that I've been thinking of:

    1) Store the commit sha from which the module was copied from.
    Every project using oslo, currently keeps the list of modules it
    is using in `openstack-modules.conf` in a `module` parameter. We
    could store, along with the module name, the sha of the commit it
    was last synced from:

        module=log,commit

        or

        module=log
        log=commit

    2) Add an 'auto-commit' parameter to the update script that will
    generate a commit message with the short log of the commits where
    the modules being updated were modified. Soemthing like:

        Syncing oslo-incubator modules

        log.py:
            commit1: short-message
            commit2: short-message
            commit3: short-message

        lockutils:
            commit4: short-message
            commit5: short-message

#1 will help with figuring out when was the last time a module was
updated and what changes have been introduced since then.

#2 won't be the recommended way for writing commit messages. Oslo
incubator syncs can have different side-effects in every project.
However, it could be useful for trivial syncs.

Thoughts?

Cheers,
FF

--