[openstack-dev] [qa] moratorium on new negative tests in Tempest

Daisuke Morita morita.daisuke at lab.ntt.co.jp
Fri Nov 22 08:13:26 UTC 2013

Great work!
Now the test cases in Tempest are well-stocked so it's a good time to
rearrange the design of test codes.

I checked mailing lists, IRC log and etherpads relating to this topic.
Let me leave my 5 thoughts below.

How to handle:
1. Data type (e.g, int, bool)
2. Specific value or format support (e.g, RegExp)
3. Boundary value analysis (David made a mention to this issue below)
4. Invalid value by non-Unicode (Ken'ichi made a mention in his mail Nov 13)
5. Errors that complicated pre- or post- processings are required for
reproducing them

I suggest that issues 1-4 be considered in the scope of new framework.
 From above sources, I feel a little bias towards invalid value testing.

On the other hand, I think that some tests remain outside of this framework.
As for Swift, the max total size of sending HTTP headers for metadata is
4096 bytes but the max size of meta-key is 128 bytes and the max of
meta-value is 256 bytes. It might be difficult to test boundary value of
total HTTP headers with the new framework. In such cases, is it OK to
write test case like current implementation?

Anyway, I do never want to derail this work. I am looking forward to a
prototype:)

Best Regards,
Daisuke Morita

--
Daisuke Morita <morita.daisuke at lab.ntt.co.jp>
NTT Software Innovation Center, NTT Corporation