[openstack-dev] [Nova] Does Nova really need an SQL database?

Chris Friesen chris.friesen at windriver.com
Thu Nov 21 17:35:51 UTC 2013

On 11/21/2013 10:52 AM, Stephen Gran wrote:
> On 21/11/13 15:49, Chris Friesen wrote:

> I suspect that a large performance gain could be had by 2 fairly simple
> changes:
>
> a) Break the scheduler in two, so that the chunk of code receiving
> updates from the compute nodes can't block the chunk of code scheduling
> instances.
>
> b) Use a memcache backend instead of SQL for compute resource information.
>
> My fear with keeping data local to a scheduler instance is that local
> state destroys scalability.

"a" and "b" are basically what is described in the blueprint above.

Your fear is addressed by having the compute nodes broadcast their
resource information to all scheduler instances.

As I see it, the scheduler could then make a tentative scheduling
decision, attempt to reserve the resources from the compute node (which
would trigger the compute node to send updated resource information in
all the scheduler instances), and assuming it got the requested
resources it could then proceed with bringing up the resource.

Chris