[openstack-dev] [openstack][nova][social-apects] Social aspects shouldn't impact on dev process

Tom Fifield tom at openstack.org
Thu Nov 21 00:17:21 UTC 2013

Hi Boris,

I'm sorry that you've had a frustrating experience :)

Even I've written purge scripts before - so I know that this is a very
useful feature :)

I think that some of it was probably just due to timing issues - I've
observed that things behave a bit differently than normal around release
and the summit. Some specific thoughts in-line.

On 20/11/13 18:06, Boris Pavlovic wrote:
> We started working on purge engine for DB (before HK summit)
>
> This is very important, because at this moment we don't have any working
> way to purge DB... so admins should make it by hand.
>

> And we made this BP (in october)
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/db-purge-engine
>
> And made patch that makes this work.
> But only because our BP wasn't approved we got -2 from Joe Gordon.
> (https://review.openstack.org/#/c/51523/ ) And there was long discussion
> to remove this -2.

I've had a read of the review discussion, which (specifically related to
the -2) was over 1 day, with a total of 10 messages.

It seems to me that Joe's initial -2 was valid - he was just working to
prevent the patch getting accidentally merged before it was ready.

I think your update of the commit message and tagging as WIP was a nice
compromise response, and was clear enough to remove the -2.

However - my guess is that the specific -2 isn't the underlying issue
here. Instead, it's about the way having a -2 on the patch changes
how reviewers see it. Still guessing: my impression is that you might
see a -2 on a patch as a "death knell", where reviewers just stop
looking at the patch thinking it's a dead end.

Personally, I don't spend enough time on nova reviews to say whether
this is the case. Have you observed this? perhaps someone else can chip in ?

> And now after summit David Ripton made the similar BP (probably he
> didn't know):
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/db-purge2

The merging of these two efforts looks like something we can fix, yes?

Regards,

Tom