[openstack-dev] Search Project - summit follow up

Dolph Mathews dolph.mathews at gmail.com
Wed Nov 20 22:11:36 UTC 2013

On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 1:06 PM, Dmitri Zimin(e) | StackStorm <
dz at stackstorm.com> wrote:

> Thanks Terry for highlighting this:
>
> Yes, tenant isolation is the must. It's not reflected in the prototype -
> it queries Solr directly; but the proper implementation will go through the
> query API service, where ACL will be applied.
>
> UX folks are welcome to comment on expected queries.
>
> I think the key benefit of cross-resource index over querying DBs is that
> it saves the clients from implementing complex queries case by case,
> leaving flexibility to the user.

I question the need for this service, as this service **should** very much
be dependent on the clients for this functionality. Expecting to query
backends directly must be a misunderstanding somewhere... Start with a
specification for filtering across all services and advocate for it on both
existing and new APIs.

> -- Dmitri.
>

> On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 2:27 AM, Thierry Carrez <thierry at openstack.org>wrote:
>
>> Dmitri Zimin(e) | StackStorm wrote:
>> > Hi Stackers,
>> >
>> > The project Search is a service providing fast full-text search for
>> > resources across OpenStack services.
>> > [...]
>>
>> At first glance this looks slightly scary from a security / tenant
>> isolation perspective. Most search results would be extremely
>> user-specific (and leaking data from one user to another would be
>> catastrophic), so the benefits of indexing (vs. querying DB) would be
>> very limited ?
>>
>> --
>> Thierry Carrez (ttx)

-Dolph