[openstack-dev] How to best make User Experience a priority in every project

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Wed Nov 20 16:27:40 UTC 2013

Anne Gentle wrote:
> It's nigh-impossible with the UX resources there now (four core) for
> them to attend all the project meetings with an eye to UX. Docs are in a
> similar situation. We also want docs to be present in every project.
> Docs as a program makes sense, and to me, UX as a program makes sense as
> well. The UX program can then prioritize what to focus on with the
> resources they have.

The key difference between docs and UX is that documentation is a
separate deliverable, and is reviewed by the docs core team. UX work
ends up in each project's code, and gets reviewed by the project's core
team, not the UX team.

Blessing a separate team with no connection with the project core team
is imho a recipe for disaster, potentially with tension between a team
that recommends work to be done and a team that needs to actually get
the work coded, reviewed and merged.

That's why I see UX more like security or scalability, than like
documentation. A design goal rather than a deliverable. And design goals
need to be baked in the team that ends up writing and reviewing the
code. Making it separate will just make it less efficient.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)