[openstack-dev] [horizon] Enhance UX of Launch Instance Form
cedric.soulas at cloudwatt.com
Wed Nov 20 15:09:05 UTC 2013
Thanks for all the feedback on the "Enhance UX of launch instance form" subject and its prototype.
Try the latest version of the prototype:
This update was made after several discussion on those different channels:
- openstack ux google group
- launchpad horizon (and now launchpad openstack ux)
- mailing list and IRC
- the new ask bots for openstack UX
We tried to write back most of discussions on ask bot, and are now focusing on this tool.
Below a "digest" of those discussions, with links to ask bot (on each subject, there are links to related blueprints, google doc drafts, etc)
= General topics =
- Modals and supporting different screen sizes 
Current modal doesn't work well on the top 8 screen resolutions 
=> Responsive and full screen modal added on the prototype 
- Wizard mode for some modals 
=> try the wizard 
= Specific to "launch instance" =
- Improve "boot source" options 
* first choose to boot from ephemeral or persistent disk
* if no ephemeral flavor are available, hide the selector
* group by "public", "project", "shared with me"
* warning message added for "delete on terminate" option (when boot from persistent)
- Scaling the flavor list 
* sort the columns of the table. In particular: by name.
* group of flavor list (for example: "performance", "standard"...)?
- Scaling the image list 
* a scrollbar on the image list
* limit the number of list items and add a "x more instance snapshots - See more" line
* a search / filter feature would be great, like discussed at the "scaling horizon" design session
- Step 1 / Step 2 workflow: when the user click on "select" from one boot source item it goes directly to the step 2.
If it goes back from step 2 to step 1:
* the text "Please select a boot source" would be replaced with a "Next" button
* the button "select" on the selected boot source item would be replaced with a check-mark (or equivalent).
* the user would still have the possibility to select another boot source
- flavor depending on image requirements and quotas available:
* this a very good point, lot of things to discuss about
=> should open a separate thread on this
- Network: still a work in progress
* if a single choice: then make it default choice
- Several wording updates ("cancel", "ephemeral boot source", ...)
> Oct 11 17:11:26 UTC 2013, Jesse Pretorius <jesse.pretorius at gmail.com> wrote:
> A few comments:
> 1. Bear in mind that sometimes a user may not have access to any Ephemeral
> flavors, so the tabbing should ideally be adaptive. An alternative would
> not to bother with the tabs and just show a flavor list. In our deployment
> we have no flavors with ephemeral disk space larger than 0.
> 2. Whenever there's a selection, but only one choice, make it a default
> choice. It's tedious to choose the only selection only because you have to.
> It's common for our users to have one network/subnet defined, but the
> current UI requires them to switch tabs and select the network which is
> rather tedious.
> 3. The selection of the flavor is divorced from the quota available and
> from the image requirements. Ideally those two items should somehow be
> incorporated. A user needs to know up-front that the server will build>
> based on both their quota and the image minimum requirements.
> 4. We'd like to see options for sorting on items like flavors. Currently
> the sort is by 'id' and we'd like to see an option to sort by name
> On 11 October 2013 18:53, Cédric Soulas <cedric.soulas at cloudwatt.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I just started a draft with suggestions to enhance the UX of the "Launch
> > Instance" form:
> > https://docs.google.com/document/d/1hUdmyxpVxbYwgGtPbzDsBUXsv0_rtKbfgCHYxOgFjlo
> > Try the live prototype:
> > http://cedricss.github.io/openstack-dashboard-ux-blueprints/launch-instance
> > Best,
> > Cédric
> > _______________________________________________
> > OpenStack-dev mailing list
> > OpenStack-dev at lists.openstack.org
> > http://lists.openstack.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/openstack-dev
More information about the OpenStack-dev