[openstack-dev] [Diagnostic] Diagnostic API: summit follow-up

Matt Riedemann mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Wed Nov 20 14:45:16 UTC 2013

On Wednesday, November 20, 2013 7:52:39 AM, Oleg Gelbukh wrote:
> Hi, fellow stackers,
>
> There was a conversation during 'Enhance debugability' session at the
> summit about Diagnostic API which allows gate to get 'state of world'
> of OpenStack installation. 'State of world' includes hardware- and
> operating system-level configurations of servers in cluster.
>
> This info would help to compare the expected effect of tests on a
> system with its actual state, thus providing Tempest with ability to
> see into it (whitebox tests) as one of possible use cases. Another use
> case is to provide input for validation of OpenStack configuration files.
>
> We're putting together an initial version of data model of API with
> example values in the following etherpad:
> https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/icehouse-diagnostic-api-spec
>
> This version covers most hardware and system-level configurations
> managed by OpenStack in Linux system. What is missing from there? What
> information you'd like to see in such an API? Please, feel free to
> share your thoughts in ML, or in the etherpad directly.
>

> --
> Best regards,
> Oleg Gelbukh
> Mirantis Labs

Hi Oleg,

There has been some discussion over the nova virtapi's get_diagnostics
method.  The background is in a thread from October [1].  The timing is
pertinent since the VMware team is working on implementing that API for
their nova virt driver [2].  The main issue is there is no consistency
between the nova virt drivers and how they would implement the
get_diagnostics API, they only return information that is
hypervisor-specific.  The API docs and current Tempest test covers the
libvirt driver's implementation, but wouldn't work for say xen, vmware
or powervm drivers.

I think the solution right now is to namespace the keys in the dict
that is returned from the API so a caller could at least check for that
and know how to handle processing the result, but it's not ideal.

Does your solution take into account the nova virtapi's get_diagnostics
method?

[1]
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2013-October/016385.html
[2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/51404/