[openstack-dev] [Neutron][LBaaS] SSL Termination write-up

Samuel Bercovici SamuelB at Radware.com
Wed Nov 20 08:43:46 UTC 2013

Hi Stephen,

When this was discussed in the past, customer were not happy about storing their SSL certificates in the OpenStack database as plain fields as they felt that this is not secured enough.
Do you say, that you are OK with storing SSL certificates in  the OpenStack database?

-Sam.

-----Original Message-----
From: Stephen Gran [mailto:stephen.gran at theguardian.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 20, 2013 10:15 AM
To: openstack-dev at lists.openstack.org
Subject: Re: [openstack-dev] [Neutron][LBaaS] SSL Termination write-up

On 19/11/13 16:33, Clint Byrum wrote:
> Excerpts from Vijay Venkatachalam's message of 2013-11-19 05:48:43 -0800:
>> Hi Sam, Eugene,&  Avishay, etal,
>>
>>                  Today I spent some time to create a write-up for SSL Termination not exactly design doc. Please share your comments!
>>
>> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1tFOrIa10lKr0xQyLVGsVfXr29NQBq2nYT
>> vMkMJ_inbo/edit
>>
>> Would like comments/discussion especially on the following note:
>>
>> SSL Termination requires certificate management. The ideal way is to handle this via an independent IAM service. This would take time to implement so the thought was to add the certificate details in VIP resource and send them directly to device. Basically don't store the certificate key in the DB there by avoiding security concerns of maintaining certificates in controller.

I don't see why it does.  Nothing in openstack needs to trust user-uploaded certs.  Just storing them as independent certificate objects that can be referenced by N VIPs makes sense to me.

If the backend is SSL, I would think you could do one of:
a) upload client certs
b) upload CA that has signed backend certs
c) opt to disable cert checking for backends

With the default being c).

Cheers,
--
Stephen Gran
Senior Systems Integrator - theguardian.com Please consider the environment before printing this email.

On your mobile, download the Guardian iPhone app theguardian.com/iphone and our iPad edition theguardian.com/iPad
Save up to 33% by subscribing to the Guardian and Observer - choose the papers you want and get full digital access.
Visit subscribe.theguardian.com

This e-mail and all attachments are confidential and may also be privileged. If you are not the named recipient, please notify the sender and delete the e-mail and all attachments immediately.
Do not disclose the contents to another person. You may not use the information for any purpose, or store, or copy, it in any way.

Guardian News & Media Limited is not liable for any computer viruses or other material transmitted with or as part of this e-mail. You should employ virus checking software.

Guardian News & Media Limited

A member of Guardian Media Group plc
Registered Office
PO Box 68164