[openstack-dev] [Ironic][Ceilometer] get IPMI data for ceilometer

Julien Danjou julien at danjou.info
Wed Nov 20 08:22:29 UTC 2013

On Tue, Nov 19 2013, Devananda van der Veen wrote:

> If there is a fixed set of information (eg, temp, fan speed, etc) that
> ceilometer will want,

Sure, we want everything.

> let's make a list of that and add a driver interface
> within Ironic to abstract the collection of that information from physical
> nodes. Then, each driver will be able to implement it as necessary for that
> vendor. Eg., an iLO driver may poll its nodes differently than a generic
> IPMI driver, but the resulting data exported to Ceilometer should have the
> same structure.

I like the idea.

> An SNMP agent doesn't fit within the scope of Ironic, as far as I see, so
> this would need to be implemented by Ceilometer.

We're working on adding pollster for that indeed.

> As far as where the SNMP agent would need to run, it should be on the
> same host(s) as ironic-conductor so that it has access to the
> management network (the physically-separate network for hardware
> management, IPMI, etc). We should keep the number of applications with
> direct access to that network to a minimum, however, so a thin agent
> that collects and forwards the SNMP data to the central agent would be
> preferable, in my opinion.

We can keep things simple by having the agent only doing that polling I
think. Building a new agent sounds like it will complicate deployment
again.

--
Julien Danjou
// Free Software hacker / independent consultant