[openstack-dev] [Nova] New API requirements, review of GCE

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Wed Nov 20 00:22:41 UTC 2013

On 20 November 2013 13:00, Sean Dague <sean at dague.net> wrote:
>> As long as the metadataservice doesn't move out :) - that one I think
>> is pretty core and we have no native replacement [configdrive is not a
>> replacement :P].
>

> Slightly off tangent thread.
>
> So we recently moved devstack gate to do con fig drive instead of metadata
> service, and life was good (no one really noticed). In what ways is
> configdrive insufficient compared to metadata service? And is that something
> that we should be tackling?

* The metadata service can be trivially updated live - and Heat wants
to use this to get rid of it's own metadata service... whereas config
drive requires unplugging the device, updating the data and replugging
- and thats a bit more invasive.

* Nova baremetal doesn't support config-drive today, and it's an open
question as to whether we ever will - and if we do we can't do the hot
unplug thing, so anyone using it would suffer downtime to update data.

* config drive permits no-control-plane-visibility for instances,
which some secure environments consider to be super important.

So I think we'll have both indefinitely at this point - they serve
overlapping but differing audiences.

We should be testing both.

-Rob

--