[openstack-dev] [Neutron] Race condition between DB layer and plugin back-end implementation

Joshua Harlow harlowja at yahoo-inc.com
Tue Nov 19 22:56:34 UTC 2013

Can u explain a little how using celery achieves workflow reliability and avoids races (or mitigates spaghetti code)?

To me celery acts as a way to distribute tasks, but does not deal with actually forming a easily understandable way of knowing that a piece of code that u design is actually going to go through the various state transitions (or states & workflows) that u expect (this is a higher level mechanism that u can build on-top of a distribution system). So this means that NVP (or neutron or other?) must be maintaining an orchestration/engine layer on-top of celery to add on this additional set of code that 'drives' celery to accomplish a given workflow in a reliable manner.

This starts to sound pretty similar to what taskflow is doing, not being a direct competitor to a distributed task queue such as celery but providing this higher level mechanism which adds on these benefits; since they are needed anyway.

To me these benefits currently are (may get bigger in the future):

1. A way to define a workflow (in a way that is not tied to celery, since celeries '@task' decorator ties u to celeries internal implementation).
     - This includes ongoing work to determine how to easily define a state-machine in a way that is relevant to cinder (and other projects).
2. A way to keep track of the state that the workflow goes through (this brings along resumption, progress information… when u track at the right level).
3. A way to execute that workflow reliably (potentially using celery, rpc, local threads, other future hotness)
     - This becomes important when u ask yourself how did u plan on testing celery in the gate/jenkins/CI?
4. A way to guarantee that the workflow upon failure is *automatically* resumed by some other entity.

More details @ http://www.slideshare.net/harlowja/taskflow-27820295