[openstack-dev] [Heat] HOT software configuration refined after design summit discussions

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Tue Nov 19 20:50:48 UTC 2013

Excerpts from Steve Baker's message of 2013-11-18 12:52:04 -0800:

> Regarding apply_config/remove_config, if a SoftwareApplier resource is
> deleted it should trigger any remove_config and wait for the server to
> acknowledge when that is complete. This allows for any
> evacuation/deregistering workloads to be executed.

I'm a little worried about the road that leads us down. Most configuration
software defines forward progress only. Meaning, if you want something
not there, you don't remove it from your assertions, you assert that it
is not there.

The reason this is different than the way we operate with resources is
that resources are all under Heat's direct control via well defined
APIs. In-instance things, however, will be indirectly controlled. So I
feel like focusing on a "diff" mechanism for user-deployed tools may be
unnecessary and might confuse. I'd much rather have a "converge"
mechanism for the users to focus on.