[openstack-dev] Introducing the new OpenStack service for Containers

Russell Bryant rbryant at redhat.com
Tue Nov 19 20:34:46 UTC 2013

On 11/19/2013 03:08 PM, Rick Jones wrote:
> On 11/19/2013 10:02 AM, James Bottomley wrote:
>> It is possible to extend the Nova APIs to control containers more fully,
>> but there was resistance do doing this on the grounds that it's
>> expanding the scope of Nova, hence the new project.
>
> How well received would another CLI/API to learn be among the end-users?

It depends.  It is it mostly a duplication of the compute API, but just
slightly different enough to be annoying?  Or is it something
significantly different enough that much better suits their use cases?

That's the important question to answer here.  How different is it, and
does the difference justify a split?

The opinions so far are quite vast.  Those interested in pushing this
are going to go off and work on a more detailed API proposal.  I think
we should revisit this discussion when they have something for us to
evaluate against.

Even if this ends up staying in Nova, the API work is still useful.  It
would help us toward defining a container specific extension to the
compute API.

--
Russell Bryant