[openstack-dev] Search Project - summit follow up

Dmitri Zimin(e) | StackStorm dz at stackstorm.com
Tue Nov 19 16:57:50 UTC 2013

Thanks Jarda for the intro;

Hi Stackers,

The project Search is a service providing fast full-text search for
resources across OpenStack services.

The idea was introduced and discussed at the Summit. We confirmed the
need for Search service: 1) from core Horizon team and UX 2) from
integrators building custom consoles 3) some suggested CLI use-cases.
We established it’s likely be a new service. I spoke with Julien @
Ceilometer about leveraging some overlapping functionality and he
suggested an integration point to address it.

Now let’s discuss it with the broader community and have you guys
guide it through the proper next steps.

DETAILS:
* Wiki - basic project description, and 2 min video showing Search in action.
      https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/SearchProject
* Etherpad - captures Summit discussions:
https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/search
* Github - the rough prototype:
       * Search backend: https://github.com/StackStorm/search
       * Horizon plugin: https://github.com/StackStorm/search-horizon

QUESTIONS:

1) Is it relevant to OpenStack vision and directions?
--> yes, based on Summit discussions

2) What is a good home for it? A a new standalone program or a part of
existing program?
--> So far: Standalone program (input from David Lyle, Matthias Runge,
Doug Helmann)

3) Who else wants to be involved? Pigs? Chickens?

4) What do we do next?
--> Create an Launchpad?
--> Form the team?
--> Give it a name?
--> Begin flashing out the design?

Thanks to David Lyle, Mattihas Runge, Nicolas Simonds, Julien Danjou,
Noy Itzikowitz, Ryan Lane and Doug Helmann for your help and active
input.

Cheers, Dmitri.