[openstack-dev] [Neutron] - Vendor specific erros

Avishay Balderman AvishayB at Radware.com
Tue Nov 19 12:00:44 UTC 2013

Hi Salvatore
I think you are mixing between the state machine (ACTIVE,PENDEING_XYZ,etc)  and the status description
All I want to do is to write a vendor specific error message when the state is ERROR.
I DO NOT want to touch the state machine.

See: https://bugs.launchpad.net/neutron/+bug/1248423

Thanks

Avishay

From: Salvatore Orlando [mailto:sorlando at nicira.com]
Sent: Thursday, November 14, 2013 1:15 PM
To: OpenStack Development Mailing List (not for usage questions)
Subject: Re: [openstack-dev] [Neutron] - Vendor specific erros

In general, an error state make sense.
I think you might want to send more details about how this state plugs into the load balancer state machine, but I reckon it is a generally non-recoverable state which could be reached by any other state; in that case it would be a generic enough case which might be supported by all drivers.

It is good to point out that driver-specific state transitions however, in my opinion, are to avoid; application using the Neutron API will become non-portable, or at least users of the Neutron API would need to be aware that an entity might have a different state machine from driver to driver, which I reckon would be bad enough for a developer to decide to switch over to Cloudstack or AWS APIs!

Salvatore

PS: On the last point I am obviously joking, but not so much.