[openstack-dev] [Neutron] Race condition between DB layer and plugin back-end implementation

Isaku Yamahata isaku.yamahata at gmail.com
Tue Nov 19 11:57:00 UTC 2013

On Mon, Nov 18, 2013 at 03:55:49PM -0500,
Robert Kukura <rkukura at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 11/18/2013 03:25 PM, Edgar Magana wrote:
> > Developers,
> >
> > This topic has been discussed before but I do not remember if we have a
> > good solution or not.
>
> The ML2 plugin addresses this by calling each MechanismDriver twice. The
> create_network_precommit() method is called as part of the DB
> transaction, and the create_network_postcommit() method is called after
> the transaction has been committed. Interactions with devices or
> controllers are done in the postcommit methods. If the postcommit method
> raises an exception, the plugin deletes that partially-created resource
> and returns the exception to the client. You might consider a similar
> approach in your plugin.

Splitting works into two phase, pre/post, is good approach.
But there still remains race window.
Once the transaction is committed, the result is visible to outside.
So the concurrent request to same resource will be racy.
There is a window after pre_xxx_yyy before post_xxx_yyy() where
other requests can be handled.

The state machine needs to be enhanced, I think. (plugins need modification)
For example, adding more states like pending_{create, delete, update}.
Also we would like to consider serializing between operation of ports
and subnets. or between operation of subnets and network depending on
performance requirement.
(Or carefully audit complex status change. i.e.
changing port during subnet/network update/deletion.)

I think it would be useful to establish reference locking policy
for ML2 plugin for SDN controllers.
Thoughts or comments? If this is considered useful and acceptable,
I'm willing to help.

thanks,
Isaku Yamahata

Isaku Yamahata <isaku.yamahata at gmail.com>