[openstack-dev] [Nova] Mission Statement

Russell Bryant rbryant at redhat.com
Tue Nov 19 05:24:39 UTC 2013

On 11/19/2013 12:01 AM, Krishna Raman wrote:

> On Nov 18, 2013, at 5:52 PM, Russell Bryant <rbryant at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> Greetings,
>>
>> Every OpenStack program is supposed to have a mission statement.  The
>> Compute program does not have one yet [1].  Here is a first attempt at
>> it.  Let me know what you think.
>>
>>    To implement services and associated libraries to provide massively
>>    scalable, on demand, self service access to compute resources,
>>    including both virtual machines and containers.
>
> Hi Russel,
>
> Are you including containers here till we settle on the container API and decide to split or not?

Not exactly.  I'm including it because Nova is where containers exist
today (docker and libvirt/LXC).  Also, if a new service is created, the
proposal is that it would at least start as a sub-project of the Compute
program (the same program that includes the Nova project).

If a a new project is created and we later decide it should split off
into its own program, the compute program's mission statement can be
amended.

--
Russell Bryant