[openstack-dev] [Nova] Does Nova really need an SQL database?

Joshua Harlow harlowja at yahoo-inc.com
Tue Nov 19 01:58:41 UTC 2013

I agree that we should embrace eventual consistency (under certain cases), but it begs the question of what are u eventually consistent on (maybe u shouldn't be eventually consistent on resource knowledge). U don't have to be eventually consistent on all the things.

So lets assume we are always consistent about static-like resources and then you could offer a 'consistent' scheduler that has no races; u could offer a less-consistent scheduler if there was a pluggable way to do this. But then the question becomes how does the 'consistent' scheduler reserve resources on a compute-node, before actually asking that compute-node to do the work required to fulfill the resource request, this is where I think the reservation process would be useful (of course it then also brings along the question of what do u do about reservation timeouts and cleaning up inactive/unfulfilled reservations). Think of this as planning how to carve up a cake before u carve it up. Nova has enough knowledge (or should) to know what the cake currently looks like (with-in reason, aka minus the dynamic eventually consistent resources) and therefore it should be able to know how to plan the cake carving, before actually doing the cake carving.

This is similar/the same issue (?) that cinder is dealing with with its work on having a defined state-machine (see: https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/CinderTaskFlowFSM) and integrating with taskflow to gain reliable workflows. Personally I prefer a slower (optimize it later) and reliable consistent scheduler & workflow that keeps my operations people sane over a eventually consistent one that has a higher chance of making them insane ;)

Anyway, that’s my current brain dump (and cake analogy, ha).

-Josh