[openstack-dev] [Nova] Does Nova really need an SQL database?

yunhong jiang yunhong.jiang at linux.intel.com
Tue Nov 19 01:18:46 UTC 2013

On Mon, 2013-11-18 at 15:32 -0800, Joe Gordon wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 18, 2013 at 4:08 PM, yunhong jiang
> <yunhong.jiang at linux.intel.com> wrote:
>         On Mon, 2013-11-18 at 14:09 -0800, Joe Gordon wrote:
>         >
>         > Phil Day discussed this at the summit and I have finally
>         gotten around
>         > to posting a POC of this.
>         >
>         > https://review.openstack.org/#/c/57053/
>

>         Hi, Joe, why you think the DB is not exact state in your
>         followed commit
>         message? I think the DB is updated to date by resource
>         tracker, am I
>         right (the resource tracker get the underlying resource
>         information
>         periodically but I think that information is mostly static).
>         And I think
>         the scheduler retry mainly comes from the race condition of
>         multiple
>         scheduler instance.
>

> You answered the question yourself, the compute nodes (indirectly)
> update the DB periodically, so the further you are from the last
> periodic update the less up to date the DB is.

But the compute node will also update the DB if any claim changes
between the period, and also considering currently the resource tracker
calculate the instance usage (like RAM, core etc) itself instead of
depends on hyper-visor report, I think the DB information should be
considered mostly up to date.

Of course, I'm not against the information cache.

--jyh